Book Title: The Life Of The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ – Vol 3
Author: Imam Ibn Kathīr
Publisher: Garnet Pubishing
Published: 2020 New Edition
Format: [A5+] Paperback
The Life Of The Prophet Mohammad ﷺ – Vol 3 has been compiled in the fourteenth century AD by a prominent Syrian scholar, Al-Sira al-Nahawiyya by In Kathir is a full examination, in chronological order, of the background, life and mission of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him. Drawn from the earliest and most reliable Arabic sources, it offers, in this English translation, the fullest available account of the historical circumstances and personalities most important in the founding of Islam. Ibn Kathir’s work offers a fine example of Islamic scholarship; the quotations and anecdotes that constitute its core are evaluated in terms of the trustworthiness of their sources. Variant wordings that are related through differing lines of transmission are noted, and Ibn Kathir gives both his own assessments and those of the earliest Islamic authorities concerning the likely authenticity of these records. The comments and conversations, derived from ancient texts, that are quoted in this work constitute the basis of our knowledge of Islam during the lifetime of its founder,
Volume Ill gives details of the numerous battles and campaigns waged between 3 AH and 8 AH to defend and spread the religion of Islam.
About the Author
Ibn Kathīr was born in approximately 1313 in the Boesra district of eastern Damascus, and studied with the many great scholars working in the city during his time. He died in 1374.
Trevor Le Gassick is Professor of Arabic Literature at the University of Michigan. He has devoted himself to the translation and commentary of important works, both contemporary and from earlier eras, that reveal important aspects of the rich texture of Arabic literary culture.
Table of Contents
- About the Series
- Muhammad bin Hamad Al-Thani Center for Muslim Contribution to Civilization
- Introduction by Muneer Fareed
- Translator’s Preface
- The year 3 AH
- The attack on al-Fura’ of Buhran.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE TEWS OF BANU QAYNUQA‹WHO DWELT IN MEDINA.
- The attack made by Zayd b. Haritha against the Quraysh caravan which was also accompanied by Abu Sufyan as well as, it is said, by Safman.
- The killing of Ka’b b. al-Ashraf, the Few.
- The battle of Uhud, in Shawwal, 3 AH.
- The death of Hamza, may God be pleased with him.
- SECTION: CONCERNING THE TREATMENT RECEIVED THAT DAY BY THE PROPHET (SAAS) FROM THE POLYTHEISTS, GOD DAMN THEM!
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE PRAYERS THAT THE PROPHET (SAAS) SPOKE AFTER THE BATTLE OF UHUD.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE PRAYERS SAID FOR HAMZA AND THE DEAD AT UHUD.
- SECTION: ON THE NUMBER OF THE MARTYRS AT UHUD.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE DEPARTURE OF THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) AND HIS COMPANIONS. DESPITE THEIR BRUISES AND THEIR WOUNDS, TO INTIMIDATE AND PURSUE ABOU SUFYAN AND HIS MEN AS FAR AS HAMRA’ AL-ASAD, A PLACE SOME EIGHT MILES FROM MEDINA.
- Chapter: The verses exchanged between the believers and the unbelievers concerning the battle of Uhud.
- The year 4 AH.
- The expedition to Al-Raji.
- The expedition of Amr B. Umayya Al-Damri, following the execution of Khubayb.
- The expedition to Bir Mauna
- The expedition against Banù al-Nadir.
- The Story of “Amr b. Su’da al-Qurazi.
- The expedition against Banu Lihyän during which he performed, at “Usfan, the Salat al-Khawf, the “prayer of fear”
- The expedition to Dhat al-Riqä
- The Story of Ghawrath b. al-Harith.
- The Story of the man whose wife was killed on this Expedition.
- The Story of Jabir’s camel on this Expedition.
- Another expedition to Badr.
- SECTION: A REVIEW OF THE EVENTS THAT OCCURED IN 4 AH.
- The year 5 AH. The expedition to Dumat al-Fandal in Rabi al-Ammal, 5 AH.
- The Battle of al-Khandaq, ‘The Ditch’, also known as the Ghazmat al-Ahzab, ‘The Battle of the Clans’.
- Concerning the prayers spoken by the Messenger of God (SAAS) against the Ahzab, the Clans.
- SECTION: ON THE EXPEDITION AGAINST BAN QURAYZA. ON THE SEVERE VIOLENCE GOD ALMIGHTY BROUGHT DOWN UPON THEM, ALONG WITH THE PAINFUL PUNISHMENT HE HAD PREPARED FOR THEM IN THE HEREAFTER.
- The death of Sad b. Muadh, may God be pleased with him.
- SECTION: POETRY SPOKEN ON THE BATTLES OF AL-KHANDAQ AND BANU QURAYZA.
- On the execution of Abu Rafi Sallam b. Abu al-Hugayq the Jew, God damn him, in a fortress of his at Khaybar. He was a well-known merchant of Hijaz.
- The execution of Khalid b. Sufyan b. Nubayh al-Hudhali.
- The Story of ‘Amr b. al-‘As and the Negus, after the battle of al-Khandaq, and how ‘Amr accepted Islam.
- Chapter: The Marriage of the Prophet (SAAS) to Umm Habiba, daughter of Abu Sufyan.
- The Marriage of the Messenger of God (SAAS) to Zaynab, daughter of Jahsh b. rpab b. Ya mur b. Sabra b. Murra b. Kabir b. Ghanam b. Dudan b. Asad b. Khuzayma, al-Asadiyya, Umm al-Mwminin, ‘Mother of the Believers”.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE INSTITUTION OF THE HIJAB, THE SCREEN, ON THE MORNING OF ZAYNAB’S WEDDING ARRANGED BY GOD.
- The Year 6 AH.
- The Expedition against Dhu Qarad.
- The Expedition against Banu al-Must Aliq of Khuzaa.
- The Qissat al-Ifk, The ‘Calumnious Report’.
- The Hudaybiyya Expedition.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE TEXTS GIVEN BY AL-BUKHARI RELATING TO THE PILGRIMAGE OF AL-HUDAYBIYYA.
- Chapter: On the Expedition and missions that took place in 6 AH.
- SECTION: RELATING TO HAPPENINGS THAT YEAR. 6 AH.
- The Year 7 AH. The Expedition against Khaybar, early that year.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE STORY OF SAFIYYA, DAGUHTER OF HUYAYY B. AKHTUB AL-NADRIYYA, MAY GOD BE PLEASED WITH HER.
SECTION: ON THE CONOUEST OF THEIR FORTS AND THE DIVISION OF THEIR LAND.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE ARRIVAL TO THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS), WHILE HE WAS ENCAMPED AT KHAYBAR, OF TATAR B. ABO TALIB, MAY GOD BE PLEASED WITH HIM, AND THOSE WHO REMAINED IN ABYSSINIA.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE POISONED SHEEP AND THE CLEAR PROOF AND EVIDENCE THEREIN.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THOSE OF THE COMPANIONS WHO WERE MARTYRED AT KHAYBAR, MAY GOD BE PLEASED WITH THEM, ACCORDING TO WHAT IBN ISHAQB. YASAR, MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON HIM. AND OTHER AUTHORITIES ON THE MILITARY ENGAGEMENTS REPORTED.
- The Incident involving al-Hajjaj b. lat al-Bahzi, may God be pleased with him.
- SECTION: ON THE PASSAGE OF THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) PAST WADI AL-QURA AND HIS BESIEGING THE JEWS AND HOW THEY MADE PEACE WITH HIM, AS RELATED BY AL-WAQIDI.
- The expedition of Abu Bakr al-Siddiq to Banù Fazara
- The expedition of Umar b. al-Khattab, may God be pleased with him, to Turba, in Hawazin territory, four miles beyond Mecca.
- The expedition of Abd Allah b. Ramaha to Yusayr b. Rizam, the Jew.
- Another expedition with Bashir b. Sad.
- The expedition of Abu Hadrad to al-Ghaba.
- The expedition in which Muhallim b. Futhama killed Amir b. al-Adbat.
- The expedition of Abd Allah B. Hudhafa al-Sahmi.
- The Umrat al-Qada?, the ‘Fulfilment Pilgrimage’.
- The Story of the Marriage of the Messenger of God (SAAS) to Maymuna.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE DEPARTURE OF THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) FROM MECCA AFTER THE COMPLETION OF HIS ‘UMRA PILGRIMAGE.
- The expedition of Shuja’ b. Wahb al-Asadi to some men of Hawazin.
- The expedition of Kab b. “Umayr to Banù Quda’a, in Syria.
- The expedition to Muta.
- SECTION: ON THE VIRTUES OF THOSE THREE COMMANDERS, ZAYD, JAFAR AND ABD ALLAH, MAY GOD BE PLEASED WITH THEM.
- Those Muslims martyred at Muta.
- A Hadith that accords great merit to the commanders of this expedition.
- SECTION: ON THE POETRY VERSES SPOKEN ABOUT THE EXPEDITION TO MUTA.
- THE BOOK ON THE DISPATCH BY THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) OF MISSIONS TO RULERS ABROAD AND HIS DOCUMENTS TO THEM INVITING THEM TO GOD, ALMIGHTY AND GLORIOUS IS HE, AND TO ENTER THE FAITH OF ISLAM.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE DISPATCH BY THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) OF A MESSAGE TO THE KING OF THE CHRISTIAN ARABS IN SYRIA.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE DELEGATION THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) SENT TO CHOSROE, KING OF THE PERSIANS.
- The Embassy of the Messenger of God (SAAS) to al-Mugargis, Ruler of the city of Alexandria; his name was Jurayi b. Mina the Copt.
- The expedition to Dhu al-Salasil.
- The expedition of Abu “Ubayda to the sea coast.
- The great conquest of Mecca. It occured in Ramadan, 8 AH.
- The incident involving Hätib b. Abu Baltaa.
SECTION: ON THE ACCEPTANCE OF ISLAM BY THE FOLLOWING RELATIVES OF THE PROPHET (SAAS).
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE ENTRY OF THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) INTO MECCA.
- The dispatch by the Messenger of God (SAAS) of Khalid b. al-Walid against Banu Fadhima, after the conquest of Mecca.
- The dispatch of Khalid b. al-Walid to destroy al-Uzza.
- Chapter: On the period spent by the Messenger of God (SAAS) in Mecca.
- Chapter: On the regulations issued by the Messenger of God (SAAS) at Mecca.
- The expedition against Hamazin; the Battle of Hunayn.
- Chapter: On the conduct of the battle; how at first there was flight and then it ended in favour of the pious.
- The expedition to Amtas.
- Chapter: On those who were martyred at the battle of Hunayn and on the expedition to Awtas.
- Chapter: On the Poetry spoken at the expedition against Hawazin.
- The expedition against al-Taif
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE ARRIVAL OF MALIK B. AWF AL-NASRI TO THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS).
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE DISSATISFACTION OF SOME WHO WERE IGNORANT, DIVISIVE
- AND HYPOCRITICAL TOWARDS THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) CONCERNING THE JUST DISTRIBUTIONS HE MADE BY AGREEMENT.
- AN ACCOUNT OF THE ARRIVAL OF THE FOSTER-SISTER OF THE MESSENGER OF GOD (SAAS) WHILE HE WAS AT AL-JARANA; HER NAME WAS AL-SHAYMA?
- The “Umra of al-Firana in Dhu al-Qa da.
- The acceptance of Islam by Ka’b b. Zuhayr b. Abu Sulma.
- Chapter: Concerning those well-known events and deaths that occurred in 8 AH.
Other books by this publisher
Questions & Answers by Sunni Scholars