Title: Essentials of Islam (English)
Format: [A5] Paperback
Author: Mufti Jalal Al-Din Ahmad Al-Amjadi
Translated by: Muhammad Khalid Husain
Copyediting & Footnotes: Muhammad Khalim Al-Qadiri
Publisher: al-Ihya Foundation
Published Year: 2022
Added to our Catalogue: 24th August 2022
NEW 2nd Edition – Available Now
Essentials of Islam (English) – Description
These five components of the religion serve as its foundation and are hence known as its “pillars”. The text before us, entitled, “Essentials of Islam” is the English translation of a concise yet comprehensive manual on theology and jurisprudence (the latter based on the Hanafi school of law)-“Anwär e Shariat”-which deals with all the five fundamental pillars of Islam. Although this is a primer text, it is quite broad in its range of subjects and the most salient issues pertaining to the two sciences of ‘aqidah (kalam) and figh are presented clearly.
“Essentials of Islam” is not only lucid in its presentation and relevant to this lofty aim, but also reliable in its content. Its author, Shaykh Jalal al-Din Ahmad al-Amjadi, is recognised as a leading jurist of the late Hanafi school.
All praise is for Allah ﷻ Who has given us the light of islam and A benedictions and pease upon the beloved Propher of Allah ﷺ has shown and guided us towards this very light. Upon the request of Mawlana Anwar Ahmad al-Amjadi (son of the author of the original work and through the inspiration of my honourable teacher, Mawlana Wunammad Iqbal al-Nüri al- Misbahi, I have endeavoured to translate the enowned book of Mufti Jalal al-Din Ahmad al-Amjadi, “Anwar-e-shariat for the vast English-speaking audience present around the world.
“Anwar-e-shariat” is an excellent book which delivers an introductory insight into the fundamental laws of Islam directly related to the day to day activities of any individual. It consists of answers to the commonly posed questions and eliminates many misconceptions, all of which are explained in an extremely simple manner.
The finest effort has been made to keep the translation as close to the original text as possible to maintain its essence and accuracy. In some cases, it was experienced that the translation of certain Islamic terms led to prolonged phrases and sentences and hence to prevent this, the actual terms were preserved. In particular, the explanations of common Islamic terminology such as fard, wajib etc. are all mentioned in the chapter The Discourse on Legal Terminology’, also found in the original text.
Finally, I would like to thank Mawlana Muhammad Kalim al-Qadiri for his finest efforts in proofreading the translation, which was completed during the last ten days of i’tikaf in Ramadan. I ask Allah ﷻ that He accepts this humble effort of mine and makes it a means of my forgiveness in the Hereafter. ámin
Table of Contents
- AUTHOR’S DEDICATION.
- EDITOR’S FOREWORD.
- TRANSLATOR’S NOTE.
- AUTHOR’S INTRODUCTION.
- THE BOOK OF FAITH.
- THE ANGELS.
- THE DIVINE BOOKS AND SCRIPTURES.
- THE PROPHETS AND MESSENGERS.
- THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH.
- THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT.
- FATE & DESTINY.
- RESURRECTION & LIFE AFTER DEATH.
- POLYTHEISM AND DISBELIEF.
- THE BOOK OF ACTIONS.
- DISCOURSE ON THE RITUAL ABLUTION.
- RITUAL BATHING.
- THE DRY ABLUTION.
- CLEANSING OF THE EXCRETAL PASSAGES.
- WATER AND LEFTOVER WATER OF ANIMALS.
- WELLS & WELL-WATER.
- MENSTRUATION, POST-NATAL BLEEDING & MAJOR RITUAL IMPURITY.
- SALÄH TIME-PERIODS.
- DISLIKED TIMES FOR SALÄH
- THE CALL TO PRAYER.
- NUMBER OF UNITS OF SALÄH & RULINGS CONCERNING THE INTENTION.
- THE METHOD OF PERFORMING SALAH.
- DU’A’ AFTER SALAH.
- SPECIFIC RULINGS FOR FEMALES IN SALAH.
- PRE-REQUISITES OF SALÁH.
- LEGAL TERMINOLOGY.
- OBLIGATORY ACTIONS OF SALÄH.
- NECESSARY ACTIONS OF SALÄH.
- SUNNAH ACTIONS OF SALÁH.
- CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER AND LEADERSHIP.
- ACTIONS WHICH INVALIDATE SALÄH.
- THE DISLIKED ASPECTS IN SALÄH.
- THE WITR PRAYER.
- SUNNAH AND VOLUNTARY SALÄH.
- TAHIYYAT AL-WUDÙ’ [POST-RITUAL ABLUTION].
- SALÄH AL-ISHRÄQ [THE POST-SUNRISE PRAYER].
- SALÄH AL-DUHÄ [THE MID-MORNING PRAYER].
- SALÄH AL-TAHAJJUD [THE NIGHT-VIGIL PRAYER].
- SALAH AL-TASBIH [THE PRAYER OF GLORIFICATION].
- SALAH AL-HAJAH [THE PRAYER FOR THE FULFILMENT OF DESIRES].
- THE TARÄWIH PRAYER.
- MAKING UP FOR THE MISSED PRAYER.
- PROSTRATION OF ERROR.
- PRAYER OF THE SICK.
- PROSTRATION OF RECITATION.
- THE TRAVELLER’S PRAYER.
- THE FRIDAY PRAYER.
- THE FIRST SERMON KHUTBAH FOR SALÄH AL-JUMU’AH.
- THE SECOND SERMON (KHUTBAH] FOR SALÄH AL-JUMU’AH.
- THE SALÄH FOR EID AL-FITR AND EID AL-ADHÃ.
- THE FIRST SERMON [KHUTBAH] FOR ID AL-FITR SALAH.
- THE SECOND KHUTBAH FOR THE EID AL-FITR AND EID AL-ADHÃ SALAH.
- THE FIRST KHUTBAH FOR THE EID AL-ADHÀ SALAM.
- SACRIFICE RITUAL [QURBÄNI].
- THE SACRIFICE FOR A NEW-BORN [‘AQiQAH].
- THE FUNERAL PRAYER.
- DISCOURSE ON ALMS-GIVING [ZAKAH].
- ONE-TENTH [‘USHR] ON CULTIVATED LAND.
- RECIPIENTS OF ZAKÄH.
- SADAQAH AL-FITR.
- ACTIONS WHICH INVALIDATE OR DO NOT INVALIDATE A FAST.
- THE DISLIKED ACTIONS IN FASTING.
- MARRIAGE [NIKÄH] & ITS ETIQUETTES.
- THE METHOD OF CONDUCTING THE MARRIAGE CEREMONY [NIKAH].
- THE MARRIAGE SERMON [KHUTBAH AL-NIKAH].
- DIVORCE [TALAQ]
- THE WAITING PERIOD [‘IDDAH]
- ETIQUETTES OF EATING.
- ETIQUETTES OF DRINKING.
- CLOTHING AND ATTIRE.
- BEAUTY AND ADORNMENT.
- ETIQUETTES OF SLEEPING.
- METHOD OF PERFORMING “FATIHAH”.
- SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL TENETS [KALIMAHS] OF ISLAM.
- DURÜD SHARIF & SOME BENEFICIAL DU’ÁS.
- DATES TO REMEMBER.